Desserts are my favorite. There’s nothing quite like sugary deliciousness. This apple cinnamon roll cake is not only sugary deliciousness, but it is an EASY deliciousness as well.
(Just FYI, there may be affiliate links in this post. This means if you buy something through my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you. Check the disclaimer for more info.)
For whatever weird reason, I have an abundance of apples currently. I have almost two bags. We may eat an apple a week at my house, so I had no idea what I was going to do with all of these apples.
That is, until I had the brilliant idea to bake something with them. Low and behold, I made an amazing apple cinnamon roll cake. Holy cow, was it good. It has probably taken a top 5 best desserts I’ve ever made spot.
Now, we only ever have fuji apples at my house. If I had had a choice of apples, I probably would have used something a little more tart. Hindsight being what it is, though, I wouldn’t change a thing about this recipe.
This cake came out very moist (normally my least favorite word for civilized conversation). It also wasn’t difficult to make.
A few pointers for the recipe
For the apple mix, make sure you peel the apples dice them on the small side.
For the cinnamon mix, you can either use 1 cup of butter or ¼ C butter and ¾ C unsweetened applesauce, if you are looking for a lower calorie option. It won’t be much lower, but this cake will end up so moist, you won’t need the glaze.
For the cake, you can always add an extra egg or a dollop of sour cream to the box cake mix to doctor it up. I think this version is perfect though.
- 2-3 apples, peeled and diced small
- 3 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 C butter, softened
- 3/4 C unsweet applesauce
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- One box yellow cake mix and ingredients called for on box
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 5 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix all ingredients for the apple mix together and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients for the cinnamon topping together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan. Mix cake ingredients together as directed on box. Mix in apple mixture.
- Pour apple cake mix into pan.
- Pour cinnamon topping over cake mix. Use a butter knife and make marble effect throughout cake.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.