Have you ever had a batch of bananas that have gone bad before you could use it? Me too, unfortunately. If you put them in the freezer, then you can make the most amazing 3 ingredient banana bread with cake mix! This versatile and incredibly easy banana bread recipe can make any flavor of banana bread that there’s a cake mix for.
My kids and I have a love/hate relationship with bananas. I’ll buy 3 and they are gone in a day. So I’ll buy more thinking we are going to eat them and three days later, they are starting to get a questionable shade of brown.
Those bananas sit in the “fruit and veggie bowl” for a few days and before long they are spotty and on the verge of calling fruit flies.
I used to throw them away when they got brown and mushy. Not anymore.
I have found out that mushy, brownish bananas make the best banana bread.
I currently have 5 frozen, brown bananas in my freezer.
There are a few things to know about using frozen bananas when making this easy bread, though:
- Bananas tend to get REALLY brown when put in the freezer. That is normal.
- Thawed bananas are really gross when you peel them. Be prepared.
- Let them thaw out completely- otherwise it’s really hard to mash them
- When thawed, these bananas have A LOT of extra water. Don’t dump that, use it.
As I said earlier, 3 ingredient banana bread with cake mix is super easy to make.. Mash the bananas, mix in the cake mix and eggs, and bake.
It really is that easy.
This recipe makes one bread pan.
Along with making super easy banana bread, this recipe also makes super customizable banana bread. Want to add some nuts? Go right ahead? Chocolate chips? Why not?
Want to make red velvet banana bread with sprinkles? The world is your oyster.
Anywho, make the bread your way and then tell me what you think.
Things used for this recipe
- 1 box cake mix (I like devil's food or yellow)
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 bananas, mushed
- Add-ins of your choice (chocolate chips, nuts, etc)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into greased bread pan.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.