Have you ever had a batch of bananas that have gone bad before you could use it? Me too, unfortunately. In my arsenal these days is a delicious use for those half-rotten bananas. Easy banana bread to the rescue.
Not only is this recipe for banana bread super easy, it also contains only 3 ingredients and makes in about 45 minutes. It’s also highly customizable.
My kids and I love bananas. I buy them at least every 2 weeks, and we will normally eat most of them. However, we always manage to have some left.
Those bananas sit in the “fruit and veggie bowl” for a few days and before long they are spotty and on the verge of calling fruit flies.
I used to throw them away when they got brown and mushy. Not anymore.
I have found out that mushy, brownish bananas make the best banana bread.
I have even thrown those brown bananas in the freezer and kept them there for MONTHS until I was ready to use them. They bake just as well if not better when they are thawed.
There are a few things to know about using frozen bananas when making this easy bread, though:
- Bananas tend to get REALLY brown when put in the freezer. That is normal.
- Thawed bananas are really gross when you peel them. Be prepared.
- Let them thaw out completely- otherwise it’s really hard to mash them
- When thawed, these bananas have A LOT of extra water. Don’t dump that, use it.
As I said earlier, this recipe takes only 3 ingredients. Bananas, eggs and a box of cake mix. Mash the bananas, mix in the cake mix and eggs, and bake.
It really is that easy.
This recipe makes one bread pan.
Along with making super easy banana bread, this recipe also makes super customizable banana bread. Want to add some nuts? Go right ahead? Chocolate chips? Why not?
Want to make red velvet banana bread with sprinkles? The world is your oyster.
Anywho, make the bread your way and then tell me what you think. If you are looking for other easy dessert recipes, check here.
Things used for this recipe
- 1 box cake mix (I like devil's food or yellow)
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 bananas, mushed
- Add-ins of your choice (chocolate chips, nuts, etc)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into greased bread pan.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.